Saturday, January 10, 2009

No rest for the weary


What's a mom got to do to get a few minutes of private time? Sydney stayed awake until 9 last night, and AJ was up past 10. So I was expecting a quiet morning. It's not as if I was hoping to do anything extravagant. I just wanted enough time to shower and finish the 'thank you' signs I promised to make for the Army's holiday party, which we need to meet Jeff at the armory for this afternoon. (Another reason I really need to shower.)
But, alas, these two seem to have felt a need to conspire against me. Sydney, who was already in my bed after waking up briefly at 5 a.m., started making sounds like she was ready to get up for good about 7:15. I rushed into the room, hoping to pat her back and soothe her back to sleep.
Normally, that would have worked, except that AJ also happened to wake up right then, and came running into the darkened room - no glasses on, with kleenex in hand - because he had to tell me right then that he had gotten "a big booger out" of his nose.
He first wanted to show me the booger. In vain, I tried to shush him as I continued patting Sydney's back. It didn't work. She of course had to look up to see what the commotion was about. AJ didn't even notice his audience was growing. He was too busy launching into a demonstration of how he'd gotten the booger out.
There's nothing like bodily functions to inspire early morning wake-ups. Oh joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment