Sunday, January 4, 2009

The purging of toys

What is it about long-neglected toys that make them so fascinating if children catch even an inkling they may be put away?

Our living room reached "out of control" point this weekend. AJ unintentionally affirmed that, asking, "Why do we have so many toys to pick up?"

Exactly! All the new Christmas presents have nowhere to go because the toy bins already are filled to overflowing. So Jeff and I decided to sort.

We filled a large box with baby toys, which is now on a shelf in the basement. The toy Sydney is playing with in the photo has earned a slight reprieve. We'll see if she continues playing with it today. Plus, that'll give us more time to find one of the balls.

Meanwhile, we re-united many of the small pieces we found in the bottom of the toy bins with the toy where they belong. Plastic screws and bolts are now back with the tool bench. And the Superheroes memory game is now just Hulk legs away from being complete (except for all the little grey cups that Sydney has scattered around the house. I suspect many of those are in our cars.)

Now, it's on to the kids' closets. As my family knows, I love cleaning closets! Maybe I could convince Jeff to put up more shelves when I'm done. I'll have to tell AJ that's something Grandpa David doesn't seem to know how to fix!

No comments:

Post a Comment