Thursday, January 28, 2010

Escape from the cold

Driving AJ to preschool this morning, with the temperature in the negative double digits, I couldn't control my outburst, "I can't wait to go to Florida!"

From the backseat, AJ asked, "Can we go now?"

"No," I answered, "we still have another month to wait. But we are going to Silver Bay this weekend." I reminded him of his upcoming hockey tournament.

"Is Silver Bay in Florida?" he asked hopefully.

"No, Silver Bay is in Minnesota."

"Where's Minnesota?"

"That's where we are right now. It'll probably be just as cold, or maybe even colder than it is here."

Not even five years old, AJ has already mastered "the look." It's an expression that seems to ask a question, but doesn't really, because he knows there isn't really an answer, or at least not an answer he will like. I imagine in this case, the question is one I've wondered countless times myself, "why is it that we live in this seemingly god-forsaken tundra?" Or maybe he's just questioning my sanity.

We console ourselves that we put up with the frigid cold, the snow and ice because at least we don't have earthquakes and hurricanes. And that's probably a good thing. I've been late to work the last three mornings due in part to traffic jams caused by accidents on the freeway. As hardy as we like to pretend we are up here in the Northland, there are still enough idiots among us to make the going tough – even in conditions we've been through so many times before. What would we do if dealt an unfamiliar disaster?

Back to my conversation with AJ, I reminded him that at least this tournament was going to take place inside an arena; he wouldn't be playing on an outside rink.

"YEAH!" was his very enthusiastic reply. It's always nice to find a bright spot.

1 comment:

  1. Plus, you're staying in a hotel - that's always a treat for our kids. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete