Monday, January 4, 2010

How NOT to start the new week/year

I just noticed this is blog post #500 for me. A landmark of sorts in the world of the Kazel Imagination. Ironically, what I have to say this time has very little to do with my kids, who were extremely cooperative/adaptable throughout this latest "Seriously, does this kind of thing happen to anyone else?!?" experience.

More than just the start of a new work week, you could say today is the start of a new work year. Let's hope it's not an omen.

Jeff had a dentist appointment first thing this morning, which meant I had to bring the kids to daycare. This should have meant I got to park in the garage last night, but we weren't that organized. So before Jeff left, he graciously volunteered to start the car and warm it up. (If such a thing is possible when the temperature is -13 degrees.)

About 20 minutes later, I got the kids bundled up, grabbed what I needed for work (plus boots and long underwear so I can go straight to AJ's hockey practice afterward) and steered them out the door to the car.

And that's when I discovered the car doors were locked. With my keys in the ignition. Thank goodness I hadn't yet locked the door to the house.

Back inside we went. I called Jeff's work cell phone and got voice mail. Perfect. I called Jeff's personal cell phone. Voice mail again. Even better. I grabbed the phone book and tried to remember the name of Jeff's dentist. Just then the phone rang. It was Jeff, who saw that I'd call but hadn't listened to the message.

I won't repeat what he said. This is a family-oriented blog, after all.

Amazingly, neither child whined to take off coat/hat/mittens during the 20 minutes we waited for Jeff to drive home. So once I saw him in the driveway, we were able to get on our way pretty quickly.

Here's the kicker. While Jeff was driving home, I called the dentist to warn them he'd be late. They weren't yet open, so I left a short message. Jeff was about halfway back to the dentist when the receptionist called him and basically said "If you're going to be that late, don't bother coming." Jeff didn't immediately reschedule. I suspect this may finally be the motivation he needs to switch to my dentist, which is only a mile from our house.

Is this going to be a great New Year, or what?

4 comments:

  1. We're all chuckling. A total of 40 minutes of idling? We're all thinking things could have been worse....To add to the "fun" of your start of the new week/year you could have run out of gas on the way to work.
    Changing dentists for Jeff? Maybe you should also be motivated to have an extra key for your cars somewhere. Hee, hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anti-Dentites...and in my own family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're not at all anti-dentite. I'm simply encouraging Jeff to be different-dentite :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a slippery slope once you start saying one dentist is "different" from another.

    ReplyDelete