Sunday, January 17, 2010

Southern exposure

The snowbirds have landed, and their flock of followers seems to be growing.

AJ and Sydney received an e-mail this weekend from Grandma Elouise and Grandpa David. The message included photos of my sister's family, who managed to time their Florida vacation to coincide with a horrible cold snap. Jonathon and Jessica didn't let the 60 degree temperatures deter them from swimming in the ocean. And it made for a funny contrast in clothing: while they were in swimsuits, everyone else wore coats.

I showed the pictures to AJ, who first wanted to know if there were sharks in the ocean. Next, while looking at the picture above of Grandma and Grandpa, he asked, "where's the water?"
"What do you mean, 'where's the water?'" I asked. "It's right behind them."
I'm not sure if he was confused by the white sand (thinking it was snow), or if he associates all large bodies of water with Lake Superior, because he answered with a question of his own, "why isn't it ice?"
Because life's not fair.

1 comment:

  1. I have to laugh. I don't know if you'd say Jonathon & Jessica went SWIMMING in the Gulf. They did walk in the water, and at the end they jumped in and right back out. I was walking ahead of everyone, and their "swim" was so fast that I never even saw it until they were out again. I knew they did it, though, because they were all wet. Crazy kids.

    ReplyDelete