Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Who needs a vacation

Driving AJ to preschool this morning, I noticed he seemed a bit down, which is typical because he's not overly fond of going to Cool Kids.

To cheer him up, I decided to let him in on a little secret.

"Hey AJ, did you know that Daddy is working on plans for us to go on vacation?"

That got his attention.

"Guess where," I said.

He grinned hopefully.

"Florida," I announced, expecting cheers to erupt from the backseat.

Instead, my not-quite-five-year-old responded with a disappointed, "But I want to go to Hawaii."

"Hawaii?" I questioned, "What do you know about Hawaii?"

"It has beaches. I want to go to the beach."

"Well, Florida has beaches too," I told him. That caught his attention. "And guess what else is in Florida?"

Silence.

"Disney World and Grandpa David and Grandma Elouise!"

If he weren't strapped in, he would have hit his head on the ceiling. "I want to go to Florida!"He was bouncing up and down (as much as his seat belt permitted) and clapping his hands. "I want to go to Disney World!" Several of his friends have gone to Disney World and clearly filled his head with exciting tales of all that is there.

Sorry Mom and Dad. I'm sure he'll be thrilled to see you. But in the eyes of this wannabe knight, there's no way you can compete with his visions of the Magic Kingdom.

1 comment:

  1. BUT does AJ realize that the BEACHES are really when he gets down to Grandma & Grandpa's? I don't think Magic Kingdom can compete with the Gulf of Mexico for beaches. He'll have quite different memories and tales to tell when he gets back to snow and cold.

    ReplyDelete