Thursday, January 14, 2010

Patient pup

As I'm waiting for the photos to upload for this blog post, I can't help but think, "God bless Maggie."

She has been forced to transition from being our baby, to being our dog. What's more, she's put up with years of being the object of affection of those well meaning (but sometimes down right annoying) kids who took her place at the top of our priority list.

Make no mistake, Sydney is very generous to her "Maggie dog" when it comes to doling out treats and dropping scraps from her high chair tray. But in exchange, Sydney sometimes expects Maggie to act like her doll. As I was taking this picture, I couldn't help but draw comparisons to another incident I'd photographed a few years ago, which I was reminded of recently by another of the old e-mails Jeff found.

Dated May 20, 2007, the subject line was "I AJ Doctor." I'd sent it to Jeff while he was away for three weeks at Fort McCoy, and it included the following:

If there is a place in Heaven for dogs, Maggie most certainly earned herself a spot there tonight.

While I was busy working in the kitchen, making supper, baking cookies, cleaning up, etc., AJ decided to raid the utensil drawer.


The next thing I knew, he declared himself, "I, AJ, doctor." A few seconds later, he announced, "I Maggie's doctor." He then proceeded to use the various utensils to "examine" Maggie. (Don't worry, I think I got them all and washed them.)

Every few minutes, he would pause long enough to pet Maggie and ask, "Okay Maggie? All better?" Amazingly, Maggie just laid there for him, exhibiting the patience of a saint. It wasn't until I grabbed the camera that she tried to get away from him. (We rewarded her later with leftover popcorn from last night.)

What a good girl!






No comments:

Post a Comment