Sunday, January 10, 2010

Skating fun

Oh what a difference the right size skates can make. Suddenly skating is so fun that AJ turns conveniently deaf when the whistle blows signaling a line change.


AJ played in his first hockey tournament this weekend: one game Friday night, and two on Saturday. Twice we had to yell for him to go back to the bench. With his feet feeling good, all AJ wanted to do was keep on skating.

He made remarkable strides, literally, in his skating ability this weekend. The more natural glide, I'm sure, can also be attributed to the better fitting skates. Though don't get me wrong, he's far from all-star status. His biggest contribution seems to be tripping in front of the opposing team, triggering a domino effect with their players.

For Jeff, this tournament was a bit of a trip down memory lane. It was hosted by his hockey alma mater, if you will, the Gary/Morgan Park Youth Hockey Association. He knew more parents on the opposing team than on our own.

As for me, this tournament was a cold dose of reality of what life as a hockey mom is like. A very, very cold dose. We had to delay our previously scheduled Friday night plans (surprise birthday party for my friend Geralyn's husband) for AJ's first game. And, because Jeff had Guards this weekend, I was on my own for all of the first game, and most of the second game. Jeff was able to make it by the end. Of course the temperatures were frigidly cold, the games were outdoors and I had Sydney to keep an eye on, too. And now as I sign off, it's to head out the door, with both kids because Jeff is still at Guards, to put in a mandatory 4-hour shift at our rink's concession stand. What part of this is supposed to be fun? That's right, it's the warm and fuzzy feeling of watching my pride and joy learn to skate.

At least I remembered his hockey stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment