Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Alex time

In some ways, my children are so different, and in other ways they share universal priorities. After spending a few hours Christmas shopping with Sydney last Friday, I repeated the one-on-one shopping adventures with Alex the next day.

My son was fine with skipping the stores featuring Christmas decorations. It was much more fun to visit stores with Legos.

Of course the high point of the day, as had been the case with his sister, was stopping for lunch at a restaurant. I talked him out of McDonald's since that's where I'd dined with Sydney the day before. He picked Taco John's at the mall food court, but at the last minute, as we turned into the mall parking lot, he spotted Culver's, and so we quickly changed course. Potato Olés are wonderful, but they just can't compete with frozen custard.

We at last reached the mall, where we first focused on finding a gift for Alex to give to his sister. After that, we picked up a few more items on my list. "Am I the hero?" he asked after successfully spotting a shirt we'd been seeking in the right size hanging on a display.

The last of our stops was at JCPenney. I found the gift I needed and then, because I still had a coupon left, suggested we look at clothes for Alex. I figured he could use one more sweater to get him through the many family gatherings we'll be attending in the next few weeks.

Alex wasn't interested in a sweater, however. My six-year-old instead chose...

Your eyes are not deceiving you. Alex was beyond excited to have his very own dress shirt, tie and pin-striped pants. The only disappointment for him was that we didn't pick up a suit coat at the same time.

Of course, once you're dressed for success, you must accessorize. "I need that thing you carry to work. A briefcase."

(Never mind that neither Jeff nor I carry a briefcase to work.) I dug out Jeff's old one from his insurance-selling days and told Alex to be careful not to get dust on his new pants.


He's not ready to give up on his dreams of being a soldier and a cop. But if this is his preferred style of dress, I might have to suggest he become a detective.

No comments:

Post a Comment