Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Such a blessing!

I wonder if I could get away with a look like this: wide-eyed, unblinking daze with small bubbles of saliva on the verge of running down the cheeks. 


The next time I have to sit through a meeting that's running way too long, or listen to a client who clearly doesn't understand what's in their best interest, I think I'll give it a try. Wish me luck. I'll let you know if it works for me.

It's a look that definitely works for my sweet and adorable nephew Finn. Though I suspect he was trying to communicate something as well. Perhaps he was suggesting that he'd had his picture taken one too many times. Or maybe he was just tired of well-intentioned family members showering him with a little too much affection on his baptism day.


I have to say, Finn was wonderfully behaved and made the event go much more easily than perhaps we deserved. You see, there's a little history here. And if Karma were to play a role, then Jeff and I should have been stuck in front of hundreds of people holding a screaming baby.

Because that's what Sydney did to Eric and Sarah, her godparents, when she was baptised.

But as it turned out, Finn's baptism took place in a side room after church, with his parents - not his godparents - holding him as holy water trickled over his head. And he remained happy throughout.


My kids thought the whole thing was great. They got a front row spot to watch it all. Alex thought it was quite funny to hear the story of his sister's baptism melt-down. (To call it a "crying fit" seems too gentle of a description. "Exorcism screams" might be more accurate.) I wonder if enough time has passed that Eric and Sarah might find humor in it too? When we got home Sunday night, Alex asked to hear more about his own baptism, and was excited to look through an old photo album at pictures of himself as a baby.


God bless you, Finn. Jeff and I are honored to be your godparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment