Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The hockey practice/lost tooth incident

Alex came home from hockey practice with a special souvenir Monday. And I'm not talking about the trophy he belatedly received from playing in a tournament in Two Harbors last weekend.


Baby tooth #5 has departed from his jaw.

Before I could congratulate him on becoming a real hockey player - Wow! That must have been some practice if he got a tooth knocked out!?! - Alex explained the tooth had been really loose and he'd been wiggling it with his tongue while waiting for practice to start. One bump as he put in his mouth guard was all it took for the tooth to come out.

I credit one of his coaches with quick and resourceful thinking. Do you see the tooth?


Look closely at the tag. "Coach Bob" apparently grabbed a piece of hockey tape and stuck the tooth to Alex's bag. Hooray! The tooth made it home safely to be presented to the tooth fairy.

Alex didn't seem to fully appreciate or comprehend all that Coach Bob did for him. He was too focused on one small detail.

"I had to play hockey with blood in my mouth," Alex told me.

Oh. My. Goodness! I bet he's the only hockey player ever to have that experience. (If I'm remembering correctly, I believe Jeff's comment was, "Join the club.")


This morning, Alex actually seemed disappointed to find a dollar under his pillow.

"Some of my friends get $2, and Hannah once got a $20!" He told me.

I pointed out that I used to get a dime for each tooth.

So here are my newest tooth fairy rules:
  • Unless a parent is totally out of smaller bills and is desperate, there's absolutely no excuse for giving your child a $20. You're simply setting unreasonable expectations for the rest of us. 
  • If you're organized enough to have a stash of $2 bills on hand for such occasions, I like you even less. 
  • And most important rule of all... the tooth fairy should not be expected to put in an appearance during the same week as Santa Claus.

No comments:

Post a Comment