Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas Day marathon

Day two of multiple gift openings dawned a little earlier than I would have liked (thanks a lot, Gus) but it was probably a good thing. We had lots of places to be, people to see and presents to unwrap.

Breakfast brought more cousin time as we headed to my brother and sister-in-law's for crepes. Here they are: all six of them in front of Zane's "really big tree".



Two highlights for Alex: an art set and a Minnesota Wild hat (How obsessed is he with the Minnesota Wild right now? The first words out of his mouth this morning were: "Guess what! The Wild finally won last night!" Later, while riding in the car, he spotted the temperature gauge which read 22 degrees. To which he noted, "22! That's Cal Clutterbuck's number!")


Turns out the art set was a hit with more than just Alex.


Finn sat happily in awe of all the commotion.


And, as all good babies should do, he was as thrilled with the wrapping paper as he was with the gifts.


And then it was time to take off and head back north. With barely enough time to run in the house, drop off our gifts and load up another basket of gifts to give; we headed for our next destination - the Jaski's.

My poor camera battery simply couldn't keep up with so many gift openings. Sadly, after just one shot, it was done. So no pictures this year of the chaos in the living room as way too many people crowd into way too small of a space for a flying wrapping paper free-for-all. Despite that, I think I can again use thequality over quantity argument. This adorable shot features the newest family member: five-month-old Zoe.


The two-day marathon caught up with us way too soon, and so we headed home where yet even more gifts awaited. Santa had shown up overnight and at last the kids had a chance to dig through their stockings.

 
 Every year I vow we're going to simplify the holidays and spend a little more time at home. But I've yet to figure out what I'm willing to eliminate to make that happen. And so I will wrap up my Christmas reflections by focusing on my many blessings. I am thankful for the miracle of Christ's birth. And I am thankful for good health, weather, roads and the love of family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment