Friday, December 2, 2011

The responsibilities of a first grader

Friday mornings are a mixed bag for AJ. On one hand, he knows the weekend is oh so close. But before he can stay up late and sleep in the next morning, he has to get through one more spelling test. And, apparently, one more day of other classroom responsibilities.


"Today I get a new job!" He announced, looking for a bright spot in the day.
"Oh? You mean in class? That's nice. What's the job you've been doing?"

"Um... uh..." (many seconds pass as he tried to remember his current position)..."I'm the Supply Manager."

What do you do as the supply manager?" I asked. "Do you make sure the teacher has enough markers and things?"

"I bring supplies to the tables," AJ told me. "But only four to each table."

(Clearly an important point to remember.)

"How often do you get a new job?" I asked.
"Pretty much, um, I think mostly every week."
"I see. So of all the jobs you've had, what's your favorite so far?"
"Being president."
I should have known. "What do you get to do when you're president?"

"You move the names back."

"You move the names back? What does that mean?"
Gesturing with his arms, as if he's holding a pointer, AJ explained, "In the morning, we move our names up on the board when we get there."

"Ah, on the smart board you mean? That's how you show you're there for attendance?"

"Yeah. And at the end of the day I get to move all the names back down."

"Oh. I can see why that's fun. So how do you decide who gets what job?"
"Mrs. Baird puts our names..." (hand gestures again as if he's pulling a name from a bowl) "... and then she picks them."

"So you have a drawing each week," I clarified.

"But it's names. A name drawing."

"Got it! Well good luck with the new job."

Friday afternoon, AJ came home from school with a sticker on his shirt. An indication that he did a good job this week as Supply Manager.

And what's his new job? Bathroom Monitor.

He's excited.

Whatever makes him happy, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment