Monday, December 19, 2011

Picture perfect family gatherings

It's a good thing I'm not the family historian. Sunday afternoon we spent several very enjoyable hours with the uncles, aunts and cousins on my dad's branch of the family tree. And when all was said and done (and uploaded), I'd taken exactly... count 'em... (or should I say count it)... one photo. 

At least I can make an argument about quality is more important than quantity, because I captured an awesome, unstaged moment.


My cousin Joy's daughter, who is just a few weeks younger than Alex, had been given an early Christmas present - a Squinkies toy. It just so happens that Squinkies are one of about 23,000 toys on my daughter's wish list this year. And Lily was gracious enough to allow Sydney to play with her and the new toy.

Note the look of concentration on the girls' faces as they tried to figure out how to get the little toy-filled balls to come rolling out of the house/dispenser. Even better, note how Lily has sweetly wrapped her hand over Sydney's. Too precious! (Assuming that's a friendly, gentle hand-holding moment and not Lily's subtle attempt to keep Sydney's hands off her new toys. Yes, I like the sweet/precious interpretation much better!) 

So never mind that I have absolutely no pictures of the rest of the family. No shots of Jeff in the basement where we'd smuggled Gus for the afternoon. No pictures of my brother's two adorable boys. No photos of my cousin's 19-month-old son Sawyer who'd just had yet another surgery and was as happy as could be. No recorded images of Alex yelling "you're the headless horseman!" at his cousin Jonathon who patiently continued playing with him anyway.

The Squinkies shot is it. At least it was a moment of peace and harmony. Perfect for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment