Friday, December 9, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree - part II

I am happy to report after Sunday's Christmas tree disaster, that our oversized evergreen is not only once again upright, it has stayed upright ever since.

We spread the re-decorating efforts over two nights. Jeff and I maneuvered the tree out of its broken stand and into the newer, industrial strength version Monday night. I let him do the stretching to put the star at the top of the tree, and then followed with lights and garland.

We waited until Tuesday to make sure those initial decorations survived, and then unleashed the kids with the box of ornaments.


Sadly, we discovered the ornament casualty rate was slightly higher than first realized. The number destroyed has risen to two, plus one is seriously wounded. But luck remains on our side. The second broken ball was identical to the first - part of a set of four I'd picked up at a post-Christmas clearance sale years ago that has no particular sentimental value. Meanwhile, the injured ornament - Mom, take note - is the ball my Mom made for Jeff. Somehow the hook and couple beads at the very top have come off. The ornament is intact, but I just have no way to hang it on the tree. I can't find the original pieces. They may still be in the tree somewhere. But I'm assuming this is a fairly easy thing to repair.

Alex (I need to get in the habit of calling him by his real name, not his nickname.) helped hang ornaments for a few minutes - just long enough to annoy his sister by commandeering the step ladder. But then, to Sydney's delight, he got distracted by something on TV, which meant she got the ladder and decorations all to herself.


Sound the trumpets. Ring the jingle bells. Sing a Halleluia. The tree again looks glorious.


For his part, Gus has mostly avoided the tree. He's hit it with his tail a few times, and of course had to sniff the new tree base. But we've consistently scolded enough that he - amazingly - seems to have lost interest in it.

One morning earlier this week, I'd let him outside in the backyard as is our routine. When he reappeared at the door, ready to come inside, he carried a small pine sprig in his mouth. (Most likely it was one of the small pieces Jeff had trimmed off.) The way Gus was carrying it seemed almost symbolic - a naughty puppy's way of extending an olive branch.

Of course then he ran past me, circled the couch a few times like a maniac and plopped down and began chewing it.


(Sigh.) As beautiful, big and expensive as the tree is, this just may be the one year I'm ready to take it down December 26.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm. I've made Christmas balls for everyone (humans not pets) as they've joined our family, so we must do something about this.
    I'm not exactly sure how the hook and beads for Jeff's Christmas ball were attached (I've done different things with the balls over the years) but bring it down and I'll try to fix it. (I just made a ball for our newest little guy, Finn, so I know where my supplies are.) I have lots of beads and sequins, so it may not look exatly the same as before when I'm done, but I'm sure we can figure out something. (It won't be as hard as remaking Sarah's Swedish Weaving blanket after their dogs chewed off a corner.)

    ReplyDelete