Monday, October 1, 2012

Almost camping

I feel like I've deprived my children of what should be a basic life experience. We've taken them to multiple parts of the country to let them see what life is like in other regions. But always we've stayed in the comfort of a motel, and eating at restaurants along the way.
 
My children have never gone camping.
 
 
And never was it more obvious than while watching their excitement at cooking their own hot dogs over a campfire at Grandpa Bill and Grandma Jo's campsite.
 

 
The temperature cooled quickly as the sun lowered while we ate, and so we added sweatshirts and jackets in time for the second course: s'mores.

 
The kids had so much fun helping make this meal possible. They carried wood for Grandpa, and later proudly brought their cooked food to the table for final preparation.

 
Amazingly, no one got skewered by the long sticks. Though they did get covered in marshmallows. But I guess that's part of the experience.


 
And when everyone was done eating, we headed home to the comfort of our own beds and indoor plumbing. We showered off the smoky smell, leaving only the fun memories.
 
We'll start slow. But I really want to figure out a way to plan maybe a weekend camping trip in their future. Next year. When it's warmer. I don't need to rough it that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment