Thursday, October 25, 2012

Fit to be tied

AJ has been quite disappointed by this week's drizzly weather. Rain means no outside recess. On Wednesdays, that's particularly bad because it's the one day a week when he doesn't have gym. "I don't want to get fat, Mom," he worried yesterday morning. "I want to get physical."
 
And thus I was stuck with Olivia Newton John singing in my head the rest of the day.
 
AJ's always been a healthy eater. Maybe because he still accepts so much of what he's told without question. A preschool teacher told him chocolate milk wasn't as good for him as white milk, and he's been drinking white milk ever since.
 
He also apparently pays close attention to infomercials, that he's asked me charming questions such as, "Do you have abs?" 
 
In the past, I've explained that everyone has abs, just some of us cover those abs up with fat. But for the last two months, I've been working out with a group of women from work, and am actually starting to see a rather toned tummy. Last Friday's workout was particularly tough, and I was whining over the weekend about how sore I was. AJ again asked,"Do you have abs?"
 
 I pulled up my shirt just enough for him to see the lines that now run down my belly.
 
"Wow, Mom! You DO have abs."
 
And that was enough to inspire him more than ever.
 
Playing downstairs, he asked if he could use the treadmill. (He knows not to go on it without an adult present.) Of course, I agreed, and helped him get it started.   
 
 
Looking at the display panel a few seconds later, which showed he'd run .06 miles, he exclaimed, "I've already wasted six calories!"

 
"You don't waste calories," I corrected his terminology, "You burn calories. And that shows distance, not calories."
 
"Now I've burned seven calories," he updated me. "I'm going to keep doing this until I have abs."
 
Good luck with that! At least I know we're setting a good example for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment