Thursday, October 4, 2012

Now leaving fall, entering winter

We've been enjoying gorgeous weather this week with temperatures in the upper 60s and low 70s. And it's been windy, which means the kids have more leaves than ever to play with.
 
Where's AJ?
 
 
The same place Sydney is.

 
Sydney has become quite observant when it comes to fallen leaves. A few days ago, when we passed a yard that was covered with leaves, Sydney enthused, "They must have a great fall!"
 
But these glorious days of warm weather and blazing color apparently are coming to an end today. Goodbye summer. Goodbye fall. Even though we're barely two weeks into autumn, the weather forecast says we're moving full speed into winter.
 
And so last night after dinner, I gave the kids the order, "Go outside. I don't care what you do, just do it outside because it's really nice right now. But after tonight it's going to get really cold for about forever."
 
AJ, of course, chose to play baseball. Sydney, who doesn't like to rake, found a new way to create a leaf pile.


While they played, Jeff and I worked: cleaning out the garage so there's again room to park a car, stowing gardening gear and hoses, and other projects we don't want to do when temperatures plummet.

Most of my flowers died with the first frost, and so I had no problem dumping them out and using the dirt from their pots to fill in holes Gus has dug in the backyard. But sadly, my geraniums are blooming more fully than they have in weeks.

 
I couldn't bring myself to dump them when were still so alive. Just as I can't bear to look outside this morning to see if they froze overnight.
 
Overall, I was feeling pretty proud of all we accomplished last night. I was just about to proclaim I was as ready as I'd ever be for winter when I remembered a key detail.
 
Hey kids, any guess where your gloves are, or if you even have any that match and still fit?

No comments:

Post a Comment