Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Checking out their favorite haunts

I'm guessing these were a garage sale find, but it's been a few years, so I can't be sure. We've got at least two dozen of these tiny rubber Halloween creatures. They come in four colors (white, black, green and orange) and several shapes (ghosts, pumpkins, cats and bats). And for whatever reason, my kids love them. For one month a year, if I kept a list of most-played-with toys, these little guys would rank at or near the top.
 
 
When AJ was younger, he created all kinds of story lines involving these critters. I'd find them lined up on the dining room table, invading his toy castles and haunting his pirate ships.
 
Now Sydney's come up with yet another fun use. Forget Barbie's dream house. This is Barbie's haunted house.

 
The kids take turns - one hides a couple of the ghosts, then the other has to try and find them. Last night, Sydney invited me to join her. A couple of times I stumped her enough that she'd call AJ to help her look.

 
The most challenging part of the game is finding new places to hide the creatures. There aren't that many rooms or pieces of furniture.

 
But all things considered, I'd say these tiny figurines are one of the best bargains I've ever found. Chances are I spent less than a dollar on them. And not only do the kids enjoy playing with them year after year, I'm guessing Sydney has played with her Barbie house more in the last two days than in the last six months.
 
So simple, it's almost spooky.

No comments:

Post a Comment