Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Conversations with Sydney

AJ is starting to think before he talks (most of the time, anyway.) This is good news in terms of his social development, but very bad news for my blogging hobby. Luckily for me, Sydney continues to give me lots of fresh material.



For instance:

I was trying to get out the door to run some errands, but couldn't find my keys. As I searched my usual dropping off spots, I asked Sydney, "Have you seen my car keys?"

Sydney: "What do they look like?"

Me: "They look like keys."

Sydney: "Keys.... Hmmm.... Nope, haven't seen 'em."

*****

Driving home from gymnasticas last weekend, as we came down Woodland Avenue (a fairly busy roadway, for anyone reading this who's not familiar with the area) I sensed movement with my peripheral vision. What I first thought was a big dog, turned out to be two deer that casually strolled across the street, causing many cars to break suddenly.

"Sydney, do you see the deer?" I called to her in the backseat.

She twisted in her seat several times as I tried to direct where it went, but never managed to catch sight of it. Apparently she felt that was not good, and so not to be outdone, a few seconds later she announced, "Oh. My. Gosh. Mom, a  bird!"

"It's a big one," I agreed.

"It's a hawk," Sydney announced.

"No," I disagreed. "It's a crow."

"Yeah," she conceded. "Crows eat corn."

*****

Monday morning, I woke up Sydney and sent her into the bathroom. When she returned a few minutes later, I helped her start getting dressed. As she stretched her arms above her head to make it easier to pull off her pajamas, my still-sleepy five year old asked, "what are we going to do today?"

"You're going to school," I answered.

Suddenly alert, the child who'd been awake for maybe five minutes excitedly proclaimed, "I've been waiting for this ALL DAY!"

No comments:

Post a Comment