Monday, March 16, 2009

Farewell, sweet kitty

I knew this day would come. And I knew it would be sooner, not later. But somehow the twice-daily doses of insulin allowed me to live in denial, even as they allowed Maddie to live about 10 weeks longer than she otherwise would have.


Tonight, my sweet girl didn't come for supper. We searched the house, shaking her bag of treats, but got no response. And that's when Jeff found her beneath the steps. It's selfish of me, but I admit I'm glad he found her first. It lessened the shock for me. Bless him for cleaning up and taking her out of the house. I don't think I could have handled doing that myself.

Thinking back, I recognize now that Maddie wasn't as quick to come for food over the weekend. But she'd looked relatively good, and I was looking forward to bringing her to the vet on Friday because I figured we'd learn that Maddie was continuing to gain weight back.

Alas, it was not to be. I hope she died peacefully and with no pain. She was my first "baby", and brought me much happiness and companionship. It was 14 years ago this month that I adopted her and Spike. I don't know if Spike is aware of what's happened, or if she cares.

Farewell, sweet girl. I will always be grateful that you allowed me to be your person.

No comments:

Post a Comment