Tuesday, March 31, 2009

You haven't tried root beer until...


Most of the time I'm happy with the order in which I've done things in life. I'm glad we waited until we were a little more mature and financially settled before starting a family.
But every once in a while I'm reminded of traditions my children have missed because they weren't around a few years earlier.

Such was the case when Sydney grabbed AJ's glass of root beer. It was Diet A & W, and you should have seen her wrinkle up her nose at the first taste. My first thought was, "honey, if you think that's bad..." But by then, she'd already raised the glass again to sample some more.

How sad to realize neither of my kids will ever have the chance to taste "Uncle Bob's root beer". They quite possibly will live longer and healthier lives as a result. But it actually brings tears to my eyes to think they'll never go through that rite of passage, tasting the infamous homemade brew that likely would have brought tears to their eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yeah. Uncle Bob's rootbeer. Those were the days. (Some batches were better than others, I must admit.) But your kids living "longer & healthier lives" because of not enjoying the homemade brew? Naw, I don't think so. This grandma (Bob's niece) has lived just fine and always looked forward to tasting the "next batch". We miss you, Bob. And your rootbeer.

    ReplyDelete