Sunday, April 25, 2010

Awesome Saturday morning

We tired the kids out good on Friday, let them stay up later than usual Friday night and then something amazing happened. A miracle!

Everybody slept in on Saturday morning.

I woke up first at 8:15. I wandered around the house, almost unsure of what to do. I never get the house to myself at a normal hour. I made coffee and settled onto the couch. Spike, recognizing the rarity of the situation, curled up next to me and purred and purred. I grabbed the remote control and actually watched grown-up shows. On a Saturday morning. A little bit of Food Network, followed by a little news. Appropriately enough, the anchor on MSNBC was interviewing the author of The Book of Awesome.

Of course, within about 20 minutes, AJ was awake, and Sydney soon followed. But that short bit of "me time" was truly awesome.

Once the kids were awake, I tried to keep them quiet so that Jeff could continue sleeping. AJ suggested playing Go Fish. Let me just say it's really, really hard to lose to a 5-year-old who lacks the coordination to hold all the cards in his hands. But I did it.

He'd spread all the cards on the floor in front of him. He couldn't grasp the concept that he wasn't supposed to let me see his cards.

Sydney, meanwhile, let Mommy play with her hair. Sit her in front of a DVD player with snack in hand and she does a really good job sitting still.



She got a real kick out of seeing the braids once they were done. Every time she'd run by the mirror in our closet, she'd stop, stare at herself and do a short dance.
Saturday's can be so awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment