Monday, April 19, 2010

Pick your battles

It's good for me to share this story on a Monday, because as I'm mentally preparing myself for a stress-filled week at work, it puts in perspective that the grass isn't always greener on my days home with the kids.

Last Friday started out fun. AJ's breakfast request: "Pancakes. Viking pancakes."

I'm pretty darn proud of the result:


As I confessed to friends who heaped on the praise when I shared this picture on Facebook, I deserve points for presentation only. I used two store-bought frozen pancakes and cut one of them creatively, added strawberries and Cool-Whip and... tah dah!

Breakfast went pretty much downhill after that. At an incredibly rapid pace. Within minutes of eating the pancake, AJ was in tears. Not just whining for attention tears. These were lower lip quivering, fighting to control his mounting frustration with his sister tears. Why?

Because "Sydney says crocodiles live in rivers and I want them to live in oceans."

Seriously?

"AJ, let's think about this," I reasoned. "First of all, your sister is right. Secondly, is this really that important that you need to cry about it?"


"But Sydney always thinks she's right!" cried out Mr. Pot-calling the-Kettle-black, concluding, "Sydney's not my friend anymore!"

Sydney sat there, smugly silent. Which successfully infuriated AJ even more. I told him to get down from the table and follow me to his room. I again asked him if he really thought this was worth getting so worked up about. He insisted it was.

That got me remembering why I'm glad to not be a stay-home mom. It also got me questioning why I get up so early Monday-Thursday and work 10 hour days so that I can end my week on such a high note. I love my children dearly, but I'm also very thankful for the professional childcare workers in their lives.

Of course, by later that day, all annoyances between the two were forgiven and forgotten. Running up and down the aisles at Sam's Club they were all giggles as they conspired to hide behind some of the pallets and boxes. As I continued to push the cart, both kids hopped on the side. AJ helpfully put his hand around Sydney's shoulders to help her hang on. Having seen Jeff put his arm around my shoulders on a number of occasions, AJ must have made a connection to what he was doing with Sydney. "Look Mom," he called out, "Sydney and I are married!"

No comments:

Post a Comment