Thursday, April 29, 2010

Refrigerator artist in residence

It started with Sydney trying to copy her big brother, who loves to draw. The difference being that while he's busy drawing pirate ships and smiley faces, she just likes color.

Lots and lots of color. From as many markers as possible.

Tearing a piece of paper from a small notebook, she scribbles on it using at least three or four markers. Try to stop her and she will protest, "Not yet! I not done yet."

A few days ago, Sydney presented me with one of her finished masterpieces. I praised it profusely and asked her to help me hang it on the refrigerator, which of course she happily did.

This must have meant a lot to her.

Walking through the kitchen this evening, I noticed that our refrigerator is now almost completely covered with these small sheets of paper. You can't see all of them in this photo, but there are a total of 12 there.

I asked Jeff if he'd helped her with this. Nope. This was all her doing. He'd watched her. First she colored the various sheets of paper and yanked them out of the notebook. She then carried them in a pile to the refrigerator. The toughest part of the process was finding enough magnets to display everything. I notice that a couple magnets are holding up multiple sheets.

Artistic vision. The 2-year-old version.

No comments:

Post a Comment