Friday, April 23, 2010

Such foolishness

Somewhere in my small town is a parent who deserves to be slapped silly. Let me explain...

AJ was so excited when I picked him from from preschool yesterday. It was the culmination of their "April Foolishness" week, which included wearing clothes inside out and backwards on Tuesday, crazy hair day on Wednesday and pajama day on Thursday. (An interesting side note, I noticed AJ's hair looked just about as crazy Thursday, when Daddy got him ready and neglected to comb his hair, as it did on Wednesday when I carefully spiked it and doused it with mega-hold hair spray. But I digress.)

Also on Thursday, his class celebrated every one's birthday at once. We were instructed to send a wrapped gift worth no more than $2. Our contribution was a nice slinky.

What we got in return was the lovely new recorder the maestro is blowing in the photo above. (You can thank me later for posting a still photo rather than video with sound.)

The parent who thought this would be a good gift to give a preschooler ought to be banned from the school district for life! You don't give a musical instrument capable of producing a single, piercingly high note to a five-year-old! And I don't think you can buy a recorder for under $2. I suspect this parent was conveniently trying to get rid of the thing that had been given to their child, and thus passed the misery on to us.

AJ's friend Gino was getting picked up at the same time yesterday. When Gino's mom saw/heard what AJ had gotten, she quickly dug through Gino's backpack to see what treasure he was bringing home. A nice, quiet Frisbee. I looked at her and asked, "Wanna trade?"

She smiled, "No chance," and hustled him out the door.

If I find the guilty parent, there will revenge. Somehow. Someway. These kids are going to be together for the next 12 years. I will get even.

No comments:

Post a Comment