Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Widening the gap

It seems like only a few weeks ago I was writing about AJ losing his first tooth.

Oh, that's right, it WAS just three weeks ago that the Tooth Fairy visited our house for the first time, and already tonight she gets to make an encore appearance for - just like last time - a tooth that's been lost - literally!


A few days ago, while trying to wake AJ, who was sleeping soundly with his mouth wide open, I saw that the tooth next to the missing one was extremely crooked. Having never noticed his teeth to be so twisted, I asked him if his tooth was loose. AJ gave it a wiggle and, why, yes it was quite loose. The excitement has been building ever since. Another dollar! He just couldn't wait.
And now the tooth is gone. As AJ tells it, he lost it sometime after lunch, somewhere on the floor of the lunchroom at school. "There was a little blood," he described. But all that was of little concern in his mind.
"The tooth fairy is still going to bring me money," he assured Grandma Elouise on the phone.
As we prepared for bed, he surprised me by suggesting we leave some money for the tooth fairy so that she could leave more money for other children. I said okay and told him to go get some of the quarters that he'd gotten from the Easter Bunny.
That stopped him. Clearly he hadn't considered funding this idea himself. "Why don't we just leave her something nice instead, a small present," he quickly recovered.
"I think she would like it best if you would just go brush your teeth," I offered.
That worked for him, and so off he ran. A few minutes later, he asked me to help him write a note to the tooth fairy. He wanted it to say:
Dear Tooth Fairy,
I lost my tooth.
I'm sorry I lost it, but I want you to still be happy.
Love, AJ
This is serious business to him. I better go find my fairy wings. And a dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment